Monday, May 14, 2007

Natural sugar is still Sugar

This is the promised rant about sugar. But first, I'd just like to say that the Chocolate Rabbit is gone. Eaten. Whew.

I have a bit of a pet peeve about "healthy" recipes using tons of honey, maple syrup or natural sugar. It especially bugs me when these recipes claim to contain "no sugar" as though the recipe is some type of magical creation that is sweet without being bad for you.

It bugs me because all types of sweeteners contain lots of calories and very little nutrition. (The exceptions are the low-cal artificial ones--but that's a whole other rant about a whole other pet peeve.) Honey, turbino sugar and maple syrup are more natural and less processed, but not more nutritious, than sugar. But they still fill kids up, making them less hungry for foods that do contain lots of nutrition.

Having said that, a bit of sugar--or any other sweetener your family enjoys--in an otherwise healthy diet is just fine!

(In case you are wondering, I personally use "evaporated cane juice" because it is less processed and because I like the flavor.)

No comments: