Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Update on the Headless Chocolate Rabbit

The chocolate bunny from Easter is still with us. About a week ago, my daughter ate the neck and upper torso after lunch one day. Then, she left the bunny belly on the kitchen counter. I found it much less disturbing in this state, since it's less bunny-ish.

Then, yesterday, we saw a real bunny on the way to school. I am not sure if that triggered it or not. But when she got home from school, she ate some more. Now there is just a foot and leg section left.

Meanwhile, as I was cleaning under the bunny-box, I happened to take a look at the label. It hadn't occurred to me to do that before. I knew, after all, that a chocolate bunny has to be an Empty, right? Well, yes. It's an Empty. But I was surprised to see that the old (and I do mean old) bunny contained a surprising amount of calcium (8% DV) and iron (6% DV) per 1/5 bunny serving. It even contains 3 grams of protein. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, it is "milk" chocolate, after all.

That got me to thinking. I dug through my food label collection. (Yes, I have a food label collection. And what's so strange about that?) I found my pudding cups label. (By pudding cups, I am talking about those single serving cups of pudding often packed in lunches.)

And guess what? This is really unbelievable... per serving, the pudding actually contains less calcium (4% DV), iron (0% DV) and protein (1g) than the rabbit! Plus, the pudding contains partially hydrogenated oil. (Eww.) Granted, the pudding cup contains 100 fewer calories than a serving of bunny. But half a serving of bunny (that would be, let's see, 1/10th of a bunny) contains fewer calories than the pudding cup... and still has more nutrition. Next, time I am going to compare yogurt tubes to the bunny.

And that gives me an excuse to treat myself to a new label for my collection.

(Note: please don't send me angry e-mails! I am NOT recommending that you serve your kids chocolate bunny as a dairy serving. No. I am recommending that you NOT serve them pudding packs as a dairy serving... except as treats if they love them. And, you know, you could make your own pudding using the easy recipe in Feeding the Kids!)

No comments: